sigh.....contentment.....

Friday, June 17, 2011

Playoff Hockey.....over.....for now!!

Well….finally it's over and I can get back to a relatively stress-free existence!! I'm speaking, of course, of the playoff run of the Vancouver Canucks.
I won't comment on the aftermath….something that, apparently, would have happened win or lose….because I think enough comments have been made on that. Suffice to say that people never cease to amaze me, both in a bad and good way!!

As for me….well, I hope by next year I will have figured out how to manage this whole "playoffs" thing. Little did I know, in my early years, that I would be a fan of such empathy that it would be almost impossible for me to sit through a game in the playoffs without dissolving into a cursing swearing maniac interspersed with tears and ending with a stomp down the hall and slamming of the bedroom door, and turning on the radio….LOUDLY!!  That's if they lose of course….when they win, my mood just lifts to the skies….nothing defeats me, the smiles are there…..it's a total roller-coaster ride!! 

Who knew!! Me….gentle, relatively quiet and caring me….had this volatile streak in me, this loyalty thing to a SPORTS TEAM!!!!

I think it's something about hockey…not sure what it is….I like watching football occasionally and cheer for the BC Lions….but hockey just grabs me. It grabs me and turns me inside out and forces emotions out of me that surprise me. When things are not going well, I plan scenarios in my head where it would all be planned….lull the other team into "feel good because we're winning" mood and then our team would come back and blow the other team out of the water……a scenario that would never happen….but it's trying to take a positive outlook on a negative event.

When I stomp off to the bedroom, my head fills with anguish at how the players must be feeling…and this year, the player I most felt for was Luongo. He said himself that the playoff run was one of the most stressful events he's ever had to endure….outdoing even the 2010 Olympics…..and I can see where he's coming from….and it didn't help that the opposing goalie was almost indestructible….and arrogant to boot!!

One other thing I learned this time….never put your belief in a video game company. EA Sports predicted that the Canucks would win at home in the seventh game…and it all panned out the way they said…except the last game. I think their system of simulation of THIS Stanley Cup needs a little tweaking!!

After all that has happened, I can only say that I'm so proud of the Canucks, they played incredibly well during the season and for most of the playoffs.  I think that they were done in by the fact that they just ran out of what ever it took to get them to the top of the league during the season…..that and the loss of some major players due to injury. The cliché saying "there's always next year" kinda takes the shine off what they accomplished this year…….a year of amazing plays, saves and scores.

Go Canucks….you will always be my team!! 
....and I will try to behave myself next year....I think!!

Slainte!!





1 comment:

Daphne said...

I am right there with you - my kids were shocked that I got into it so much this year. And now I can't quit commenting on every article on the CBC website about the team. I'm a little nuts right now!