sigh.....contentment.....

Friday, April 23, 2010

Gym or not to gym.......

So...after a nasty bout with a cold/flu virus which laid me low for a couple of weeks.....I started back at the gym this week.

I was uncertain as to how I would approach this....I originally decided to go back primarily because I'd already paid for it and wanted to get my money's worth. However, while I was driving down to the gym, I felt surprisingly light-hearted and pleased to be going there again. Admittedly, I had to scale back my routine to it's original state to accommodate my rather less than spectacular energy level.....but nevertheless, it was enjoyable.

I have found recently that I seem to be a tad obsessive about how I go about my exercise routine. If things interfere with the order in which I workout....I get stressed out and spend my time on the recumbent bike worrying about whether "my space" will be taken up by some other lady doing her workout. Sigh......so this time, I went into the whole experience with a new attitude....take what comes and deal with it. No stress, relax, listen to my MP3 player (loud to block out the rock music from the gym speakers!!) and try to mentally organize my day....with lots of space for me!! Going to the gym is pretty much necessary for me, but.....it HAS to be a good experience...otherwise, it's usefulness is limited. I like the idea of going to get fit....but I'm thinking that doing the exercise goes a long way to combating depression and other angst.

I shall keep it up and gradually increase the level back to where I was when I got sick. I am limited to what I can do...so most of my exercises are strengthening....along with the recumbent bike.

Wish me luck!!

Slainte!

No comments: