sigh.....contentment.....

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crying???

So I was lying in bed the other night in my usual "sleepless" mode....and I was suddenly overcome with the urge to cry. It was a brief episode and it came from memories of my aunt, who passed away in November of last year.

It occurred to me, after I calmed down, that I haven't cried a lot in the last few years. I mean, I have little weeps now and then, but the big wailing cry that is cathartic just hasn't been there...and I don't know why. As we get older, does the ability to express grief become a more matter of fact thing? Keeping our emotions in check...is that something that we think is more appropriate? For my part, I would like nothing more than a good cry. So why haven't I expressed the grief that I have endured over the last few years....

Maybe, in some way, we feel our own mortality, and thus don't want to dwell on the inevitable for too long.
I really don't know.

One day, I'm sure, there will be a trigger and the floodgates will open. I only hope that whom ever is in the area (if there is anyone around) they have ear plugs, a good solid shoulder that doesn't cramp up and a clean shirt....'cause it may be loud and long and wet!!!
On the other hand....I may just grab a stack of towels and howl by myself.

Slainte!

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I wonder if we get so used to being the strong one for those around us we lose touch with our own emotions, or maybe we've programmed ourselves to stuff it??

Coramie said...

That definitely sounds like a possibility.....it's a mother thing I think!!